NOTICE OF STAGE 2 FIRE RESTRICTIONS
EFFECTIVE 6/14/2018 AT 12:00 PM FOR ALL UNINCORPORATED GUNNISON COUNTY, THE TOWN OF CRESTED BUTTE AND THE TOWN OF MT. CRESTED BUTTE
In accordance with Gunnison County Resolution #2018-18, signed by the County Commissioners on June 14, 2018, the Gunnison County Sheriff, in a cooperative effort with the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests, Gunnison Ranger District, and the United States National Park Service issues the following notice:
Due to persistent warm, dry and windy conditions, which have created very high fire danger in Gunnison County, it is the order of the Gunnison County Fire Warden / Gunnison County Sheriff and the Gunnison County Board of Commissioners that, effective Thursday, June 14, 2018 at noon, all unincorporated areas of Gunnison County are under Stage 2 Fire Restrictions.
The following activities are PROHIBITED by this resolution:
1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire. This includes charcoal grills and barbecues, coal and wood burning stoves and sheepherder’s stoves and includes use in developed camping and picnic grounds. EXCEPT: Devices using pressurized liquid or gas (stoves, grills or lanterns) that include shut-off valves are permitted when used in an area at least three feet or more from flammable material such as grasses or pine needles.
2. Smoking. EXCEPT: Within enclosed vehicle, trailer or building.
3. Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
4. Operating or using any internal combustion engine (e.g. chainsaw, generator, ATV) without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order meeting either:
(a) Department of Agriculture, Forest Service Standard 5100-1a; or
(b) Appropriate Society of automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended practice J335(b) and J350(a).
5. Operating a chainsaw without an approved spark arresting device as described in Prohibition #4, a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher (8 oz. capacity by weight or larger and kept with the operator) and a round point shovel with an overall length of at least 35 inches readily available for use.
6. Using an explosive. This includes but is not limited to fuses or blasting caps, fireworks, rockets, exploding targets, and tracers or incendiary ammunition. EXCEPT: The City of Gunnison 4th of July fireworks display shall be allowed unless further restricted by the Board. The 3rd/4th of July Crested Butte and Mt. Crested Butte professional fireworks display has been cancelled.
7. Possessing or using a motor vehicle off established roads, motorized trails or established parking areas, except when parking in an area devoid or vegetation within 10 feet of the vehicle.
1. Persons with a valid Forest Service or Gunnison County permit or contract specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission may be eligible for an exemption from Prohibitions #1, #3, #4, #5, #6 and #7. Any exemption must be applied for in writing, include an appropriate mitigation plan and must be authorized in writing by the appropriate Gunnison County official. The authorization must be in the physical possession of the person or persons undertaking the exempted activities.
2. Any Federal, State or local officer or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty is exempt from Prohibitions #1, #3, #4, #5, #6 and #7.
3. Residents, owners or lessees within the restricted area are exempt from Prohibition #1, provided such fires are within a permanent dwelling and there is a spark arrestor in working order on the chimney.
As provided by Colorado Statutes, any person responsible for starting a fire while these restrictions are in place may be held accountable for all fire suppression costs incurred as well as face possible criminal charges. Persons violating fire restrictions under Gunnison County Resolution #2018-18 can also be fined under Gunnison County Ordinances 8a and 14.
For further information, please contact any of the following: Gunnison Sheriff's Office (970) 641-1113; United States Forest Service Gunnison Ranger District 970-641-0471; Gunnison Fire Marshal (970) 641-8153; Gunnison County Emergency Management (970) 641-2481; or Curecanti National Recreation Area (970) 641-2337.